View Our Maps
Click to Home

Go To Search
Pet Licensing & Permits
License Information

Help us help you!  Returning a lost pet to its owner is so easy when they are wearing their current Routt County License and an Identification tag.  Get your pets licensed now at the Routt County Humane Society's Animal Shelter or your own Steamboat Springs Veterinarian.  All animals in Routt County are required by law to be licensed every calendar year.  All licenses expire December 31st of the year issued, and the next year's license must be purchased by January 31st.  Don't's required by law that all dogs must wear the current license on their collar.

To get your pet licensed at the Routt County Humane Society Animal Shelter, you will need to bring the following:

  • Current rabies vaccination certificate - not the metal tag
  • Proof of spay or neuter operation
  • Fee for license(s)

Fees for Licenses - Payable to Routt County Humane Society
Type of License
Altered dog or cat
Non-altered dog or cat
*Replacement license
$2 (*Purchased at RCHS Shelter only)

*Routt County licenses may also be purchased through your own Steamboat Springs veterinarian if you are a client of:
  • Mountain Peaks Veterinary Clinic
  • Mt. Werner Veterinary Hospital
  • Pet Kare Clinic
  • Steamboat Veterinary Hospital

Residents of Hayden, Oak Creek, and Yampa require their own City's license.

If you own chickens or goats, please contact City Code Enforcement regarding those permits and regulations. To review Municipal code 26-402 pertaining to chicken and goats, click here.