Sign Code Update
Upcoming Community Input
We are close to adoption of the new sign code and we would love your input! See dates below for input opportunities.
- 7/23: Planning Commission worksession for public discussion
- 9/8: City Council worksession to review the Sign Code project
- 9/24: Planning Commission Adoption Public Hearing, to provide a recommendation to City Council
- 10/13: City Council, Public Hearing, First Reading of Sign Code Ordinance
- 11/17: City Council, Public Hearing, Second Reading of Sign Code Ordinance, potential adoption of the new sign code to be decided at this meeting
We are coming into the adoption phase of this project, if you would like to provide feedback, now is the time! For information about the proposed sign code contact Toby Stauffer or check the Engage Steamboat website at engagesteamboat.net/signcode.
The most current complete draft of the proposed code is below.
Focus of the Sign Code Update
Communities across the country have been updating sign codes in response to the 2015 Supreme Court decision of Reed v Town of Gilbert AZ, which prohibits content- based sign regulations. While Steamboat Springs’ Sign Code has not been fully updated for over 10 years, the issue has gained urgency due to this changed legal environment.
The update includes content-neutral regulations that should be clear, easy to use, and flexible for signs in different areas of the city, rather than the current one-size-fits-all approach.
We would love to hear your feedback, please submit comments!