

**URBAN REDEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY ADVISORY COMMITTEE**  
**URAAC Minutes – FINAL**  
**Thursday April 6, 2023**  
**Hybrid Meeting – Virtual & In Person at the Carver Room**  
**1:30 – 3:00 pm**

Committee Members	City of Steamboat Springs	Others Present
<p><b><u>PRESENT:</u></b>  <b>Jim Schneider</b>  <b>Mike Lang</b>  <b>Charlie Roos</b>  <b>Roger Levanduski</b>  <b>Ryan Stone</b>  <b>Josh Miller</b>  <b>Dan Pirrallo</b>  <b>Elliot Lawrence</b>  <b>Brian Bavosi</b>  <b>Caitlyn McKenzie</b>  <b>Nick Sears</b></p> <p><b><u>ABSENT:</u></b>  <b>Gavin Malia</b>  <b>Catie Haynes</b></p>	<p><b><u>PRESENT:</u></b>  <b>Dakotah McGinlay</b>  <b>Michael Buccino</b>  <b>Jia Carroll</b>  <b>Brad Calvert</b>  <b>Gates Gooding</b>  <b>Danny Paul</b>  <b>Matt Phillips</b>  <b>Gary Suiter</b></p> <p><b><u>ABSENT:</u></b></p>	<p><b>Donn Lewis</b></p>

**AGENDA ITEMS:**

**1. Call To Order ..... 1:30pm**

Lawrence established a quorum and called the meeting to order.

Lawrence reviewed the recent URAAC application process, with 5 vacant seats to be filled and a record 10 applicants.

He welcomed new URAAC members:

Catie Haynes as base area businessperson.

Caitlyn McKenzie as base area businessperson.

Nick Sears [sp] as community member at large.

Gavin Malia and Elliot Lawrence were reseated.

Schneider moved to approve the minutes from the last meeting on March 2<sup>nd</sup>, which was seconded by Miller. The motion passed unanimously with no changes to the draft minutes.

Recognize Visitors: Donn Lewis, Torian Plum

**2. Public Comment.....1:33pm**

None.

**3. Project Updates.....1:50pm**

Gates Gooding:

Ski Time Square:

Gooding recapped the project, including the construction delay until 2024 due to inability to negotiate an easement on the Alterra property in time for the project to go out to bid prior to construction season.

Gooding: We presented this issue to SSRA at their last meeting on March 21, and the direction that we heard was that we need to get this negotiation done by May 2 at the latest. We've passed multiple drafts back and forth since that meeting, and it feels like we're coming together; we're wrapping up a couple very minor details now.

Sears clarified with Gooding that it's the permanent easement that is still under negotiation, though they are all tied together. Two separate agreements with each property owner govern temporary and permanent easements.

Gooding: We're optimistic enough that we are scheduling a second contractor information meeting on April 27. We did this once in November last year. It's a meeting where we publicly advertise it and then get potential bidders to come and check in with them on some different questions about the project. At this upcoming meeting, we're going to be asking if contractors would be able to respond in a timely manner if we put this out to bid in the upcoming construction season. We'll also consult on a strategy for phasing this. Is there work that can be done in the second half of 2023 if we get this under contract sooner than later.

Hopefully, we'll have good news at the next meeting.

Stone: Can you bid that now for construction in 2024?

Gooding: We discussed that. It would involve rolling that over to 2024, so probably. We're going to check in with SSRA.

Danny Paul:

That's something we would discuss with them at the May or July meeting before we take that step. Make sure they're comfortable. It would still be reliant on them doing the supplemental approval after the turn of the new year, or we just budget for it again for next year.

Stone recommended getting the contractors to come in prior to January 1; Buccino agreed.

Gondola Transit Center:

Gooding reviewed the project and how it has come to be pursued toward the end of the URA's lifetime in 2029.

Stone described how the project required a larger footprint than exists at the GTC, which prompted Alterra to suggest building a gondola from the Meadows Lot to the base of the mountain, in which they would invest. He described the metro district as a possible funding source for future improvements.

Gooding: There was an LOI completed early last year, and that set up an early partnership where we are sharing design costs and decision making 50-50 between the URA and Alterra, with East West being Alterra's partner on this for now. Eventually, there would be a full public improvements agreement, which is like a public-private partnership. What we're trying to do is get far enough in design that we can inform that full partnership. So, we're kind of in an interim period with this project right now.

The recent design work that we've done has been under a design team that East West hired. Wenk Associates is the lead consultant, and Landmark Consultants here locally is the civil engineer. Then, we have Walker Consultants and Consor Engineering to help us with traffic and transit. So,, we have a great team, and the approach has been to look at multiple design scenarios.

Gooding showed the three design scenarios.

Gooding: Stakeholder meetings we held along with our own analysis have all pointed to Concept 1 being the preferred alternative, which closes Mount Werner Circle in front of the Grand.

This project is much bigger than had been anticipated in our workplan, and there's potential huge intersection improvements that are needed. So, we actually decided to pause design work just after your last meeting. There are a bunch of big questions that we need to figure out, and we're concerned that we need to figure out these answers before we can successfully negotiate a cost-sharing agreement between URA, Alterra and potentially the city as well.

We have the traffic consultants doing a traffic study to look at the potential off-site impacts and identify whether doing a project as has been proposed would necessitate improvements to any of these intersections. Landmark is looking at an early ballpark estimate for the costs for the GTC itself and for the improvements that we're showing to the Meadows Lot. These studies are both due back on May 2. That will let us present the information to SSRA at their meeting on the 16<sup>th</sup>.

Spare Parts:

Danny and I looked at the spare parts, then we walked around the whole base area and took a look at the URA lights in particular and what shape they're in, how there's different designs and clearances and everything. We have a large spare parts purchased planned for later this year, so we're ramping up to make sure that happens.

Paul: To convert them to LED because right now, some have been retrofitted with an LED bulb, but they're not a true LED head. LEDs put out better light.

Gooding: We have the budget to do 30-40 of them depending on the prices, and we'll make sure we do one complete section at a time to make sure everything looks right.

Buccino asked Schneider about progress on the metro district.

Schneider: We talked a little bit about that at Coffee with Council this morning. There's a presentation Tuesday night by Butler Snow, which is a third-party legal review. Then, I think we're on May 2 with Council to give a presentation on our specific mountain area metro district plan.

Buccino: It seems like a good concept, so I'm encouraged. Hopefully, nothing is throwing a monkey wrench into that because that would be my only concern is what monkey wrenches could potentially show up with the different parties involved, and how does that affect what we do. A lot is hinging on this design change. By summer, we'll know if we can have the flexibility of waiting another year or at least six months to come up with some other ideas in case that goes south.

Lawrence: I believe there's a formal resolution that's going to be adopted by the SSRA at the April 25 meeting, which will make our new members official.

Gooding: We went through the project updates with SSRA. There's also a snowmelt issue where we've received direction from SSRA that we should explore alternate snowmelt systems. Some of those easement agreements that we have with Kutuk and Torian Plum, the properties are receiving new snowmelted walkways along the public portions of their frontages. The default is to use gas-fired systems, but there's an interest at SSRA to potentially look at electric. The properties very much want gas. There's a Code update coming that could impact this, so there are still a lot of details in play, but for now, we're going full steam ahead. The easement agreements are written to have owner choice as a default.

Buccino: I don't want this electric versus gas to hold it up if it's their choice. We just need to know during construction, and they're going to have the long-term maintenance of that. That's really what the issue is, is they have to pay for the maintenance for the next decade.

Gooding: Maintenance and operation.

Stone: Electrified snowmelt systems generally take 3-4 times the square footage for the boilers because you need extra storage capacity and things of that nature. Because electric can't heat the fluid as quickly as gas, you have to have extra storage tanks, so it creates a much bigger physical footprint for the boiler room.

Paul: The implication is where do you put it in these buildings that don't have room for them.

Stone: I don't know if anybody has talked to YVEA about whether they have the service capacity to run these systems as well.

Buccino: So, I think keep it simple for the May meeting: pro and con with data we can post so that the public can see it. But please reach out to Donn and Torian Plum and see what they can do to find out where they would build the electric if you need three times the footprint. Who's land is that on? That needs to be presented to the SSRA.

Gooding: For both properties, it's going to be a new boiler serving a dedicated circuit, so it won't be one system with two kinds of boilers on it. The cleanest way forward here is if we bring the project to bid in the next couple months, and then we get approval to sign all the easement agreements, everything will kind of be done; we would pull our permits prior to the change in the Energy Code. The downside of that is that then we're locking in the emissions from natural gas. Donn has called me several times to say in no uncertain terms that he is not open to discussing electric.

Buccino: If the only benefit is greenhouse gas emissions from electric to gas in this one instance, I still agree with gas because I don't think it's going to be as significant at this point. But there are some people on that committee at the SSRA that have to choose that. Just present the data to us and let us with Donn and Torian Plum make those decisions. Part of that is we need to hear from them as to what square footage is going to be needed if we go with an all-electric system, because we're going to mandate something that's going to cost them a lot. Who's going to pay for that? Is that now on the URA to pay for that footprint to put in an electric boiler on their property?

Gooding: That's what it would be.

Buccino: But do they have space to do it?

Lawrence asked how much square footage of snowmelt would be installed on these properties.

Gooding: With Torian, it's between 4500 and 7,000 square feet; at Kutuk it's 2500. When Danny and I were walking around, it wasn't snowing at all. I just leaned over and felt it, and it was like 110 degrees. So, that's something else that I might look into to get some carbon savings.

Buccino agreed that there should be a thermostat of some kind that turns them on and off, unless it's less efficient to keep heating it up and cooling it down.

Sears thought maybe it doesn't take as much power to maintain that warmer temperature.

Pirrallo: There are typically sensors that allow you to be more efficient, however, there is a constant temperature you need to hold to circulate that water in a timely manner to melt the snow effectively. We look at that all the time with the boilers we have.

Asked by Sears, Gooding said YVEA does have the capacity to handle all that, possibly with the addition of new transformers, though there is plenty of power available up there with the new duct bank going through Ski Time Square.

Gooding: This is going to inform what we do on the GTC project, which could be much bigger.

Stone: There will be a time where you can get a 1:1 size swap-out of boilers for gas and electric, but it's just not there now. A gas-fired system does not preclude you from switching to electric at some point in time when that makes sense.

Stone indicated that the technology exists to harness heat from other sources like waste pipes, or in the case of Howelsen, the ice-cooling plant, but that wouldn't generate enough heat to snowmelt an area this large.

Gooding: There's enough energy in the sewer from showers and things, but Mount Werner Water said no way. It would be way more expensive and take 10x the footprint.

McKinlay: It seems like what I'm hearing is maybe there's not an agreement to go forward with electric snowmelt, but there might be some interest in going forward with the most efficient gas-powered system because you could potentially save more money, and there would be some greenhouse gas savings as well. You mentioned that this could help inform what we do with the GTC, and I think we're going to have a similar discussion at that time, but if we can potentially utilize some energy from the small skating rink if it at all of a comparison with what we're doing at Howelsen...

Gooding: We're going to bring this back again and again and keep an eye on what the Energy Code update will be. Hopefully, we'll be able to put this to bed sooner than later. I hope we can come up with a solution that makes everybody happy, but we'll see.

Paul: Recently, the Routt County commissioners have also taken an interest in what the URA is doing. Gates attended a joint City Council-County Commissioner meeting to give them an update. That sparked some interest in the URA projects and how we're conforming to the Climate Action Plan.

At the last SSRA meeting, the county commissioners submitted a letter reaffirming their commitment to stick to the Climate Action Plan and encourage the city to require the URA and its projects to do so as well.

Gooding: That's another wrinkle. There's a lot of moving pieces on this one. All we're doing is providing information to SSRA and then looking for guidance because it's basically risen to a political decision at this point that has much larger implications than just this project, I think.

After we got through the Ski Time updates, we went into an update on the GTC project and brought SSRA up to date on the design process. We started teasing the budget issues that we're going to be looking at over the next few months. The big response we got from SSRA is that we needed to schedule a few extra meetings. We have a meeting on May 16, and we're discussing one in July as well. Last year, we had meetings in May, September and December.

We need to get as much of the design, cost-sharing and O&M for the GTC project defined as soon as possible. Alterra wants to get their metro district plan on the ballot in November. If they don't, the GTC project is delayed a year. So, we want to try and support that deadline as much as we can. The City Council meeting on August 22 is the meeting where they hope to get approval of their metro district plan. The metro districts are going to help pay for the GTC, so if the metro district doesn't pass, we don't have that part of the funding. I just got a call from Mike Schmidt at Alterra, and they just found out that they might have a significant additional budget coming for the first part of the funds out of the metro district. Before, they thought the funding was just going to pay for the gondola, but now we just learned that potentially there's another handful of millions of dollars to help pay for infrastructure around the bottom of the gondola.

So, all of a sudden it seems like we can be much more optimistic about the potential for this project to happen.

McKenzie asked where the boundaries of a metro district would be; Gooding clarified that it would be on Alterra properties.

McKinlay asked Gooding where Schmidt got that information and whether it can be viewed.

Gooding: I mean like 5-ish million. They're working with RCLCO, which is an economic consultant firm, the same one that helped inform the Brown Ranch economic projections. They're just getting some updated, maybe more realistic, projections with updated assumptions about interest rates, etc.

McKenzie: Aside from Alterra just saying we're going to put this money forward to build the Transit Center, is there a benefit to using a metro district?

Gooding: I think that's the only way that they can come up with that amount of cash.

Schneider: Metro districts by definition have to be used for public infrastructure, and when we say GTC, we consider the gondola and the GTC reconfiguration at the top and the bottom all as one project, although we know what can or cannot be funded by the URA is limited to the activities identified.

Sears asked if the metro district sunsets; Stone said they generally never cease to exist but that at some point in time they will pay off the bonds that they sold for the capital projects and will continue to collect operations and maintenance mills.

Stone: The big difference between a metro district and a URA: URA is tax increment financing; metro districts are still tax increment but it's on top of. So, our base mill is 55; this would be additional mills on top of that. So, you're not taking out of those, whereas the URA is. We set a baseline at one point in time of how much came in through the tax rolls and through sales tax and said anything above that goes to the URA.

Sears clarified with Schneider that this district is not specifically for the GTC but infrastructure within the district.

McKinlay: What would stop Alterra from paying that money out of pocket from profits rather than going through a metro and kind of locking themselves into public infrastructure investments.

Stone: The reason you go for a metro district over traditional financing sources is that it's tax-exempt bond financing; it's cheaper than taking money out of profits.

Gooding: There's a lot of details related to this metro district. What can it accomplish? What say does the city have in which public improvements the metro district is going to fund?

That relates to the GTC because how much of the metro district funding is going to come to the GTC. There's the potential that some of the projects in our workplan that get pushed aside in favor of the GTC could then be backfilled by the metro district in the future. So, we really need to have the PIA for the GTC and the metro district plan completely figured out and negotiated prior to August 22. We have two opportunities to check in with the SSRA between now and then: May 16 and July 18.

Our next URAAC meeting is May 4. We have a bunch of information coming in on the 2<sup>nd</sup> and won't have much time to do a deep dive and thoroughly review it prior to that meeting. But I'm hoping we'll be able to present whatever we get to you on that day and then get your input leading into the May 16 meeting. Then, we'll have two more URAAC meetings to discuss whatever we hear from SSRA. Hopefully, along the way we'll be negotiating the PIA and the metro district terms, hash through it with you guys and come up with a recommendation for July 18. This is a super tight schedule. It's going to be a lot of ground to cover over the next few months.

The other comment that we got from SSRA was that we should hold our budget meeting prior to the upcoming election because a number of them are up, and it would be much easier to get our budget passed with the current group that understands the projects and the narrative. Last year, we didn't finalize our budget until December 6; this year, we're looking at October 17. So, that also condenses things.

**5. GTC Budget Scenarios.....2:25pm**

Gooding reviewed the workplan and financial sheets with the new members.

Gooding: This was done with Kim Weber to account for a possible recession, and that's turning out to look a little conservative right now. This is kind of a rough tool, but it does help us get a rough picture of where we're headed. We don't have updated numbers yet, but typically we'll update these forecasts a couple times a year. We'll update it again as we get closer to our budget meeting with SSRA.

Under 2023 for the GTC, we have a contribution to the PPP: \$300,000 is the design that we're doing, then we have \$2.5 million penciled in for 2024. This is an artifact from a previous round of planning where we were thinking the GTC was likely to be a much smaller project inside the boundary of the current GTC. URA would pitch in just under \$3 million, and Alterra would come to the table with another 5 or 6. It's now potentially an order of magnitude larger than what we were looking at. Right now, our rough guess is 10-12 inside the GTC itself and then another \$4 million for that roundabout. This whole month we'll be getting better information. When we come back on the 4<sup>th</sup>, hopefully we'll have some better, vetted estimates from our engineers as to whether we need any extra roundabouts and what we should expect some of these things will cost.

If we just did the GTC improvements, they would maybe need that intersection redone. If we add a gondola itself, that creates the need for additional improvements in the Meadows Lot plus a \$16 million gondola. With that, the project could be \$35 million.

If Alterra can come to the table with even \$20 million, then they can pay for the gondola and potentially improvements around the Meadows Lot. But that still leaves 10-12 million at the GTC and maybe \$4 million for the Mount Werner-Mount Werner roundabout.

When I brought this to URAAC last month, the unanimous thinking was that this is our #1 goal, and if we have to wipe some lower-priority projects from our sheet to make this happen, that's fine.

Gooding showed the last URAAC project prioritization from 2020.

Tier 1: GTC, Mount Werner Road/Steamboat Boulevard roundabout (done,) and Ski Time Square Drive.

Tier 2: Complete Streets, promenade extensions...

Buccino pointed out that the gondola is beyond the URA's scope, so URA funds can't be used to build it.

Gooding: On here, I left Ski Time funded; we had it funded for 2023; the thinking is it would move to 2024 with the same amount. In order to get \$15 million for the gondola, I used it all in 2025 and 2026 with zero left in our capital budget. Into 2027, we have \$500,000 left for projects. To get there, I had to take out all of Complete Streets; I left one Developer Partnership Planning in 2024. WE have one promenade extension and one Complete Streets segment we could do in '29. The Highway 40 roundabout is already unprioritized, so we're not doing that, either. We have a couple million dollars left for other things. I think if we decide to go in this direction there needs to be a conversation about which projects we should deprioritize. If we can still afford to do a couple Complete Streets segments, which ones are the higher priority? Regardless of which projects you decide to keep prioritized or not, the big story is if we do Ski Time and the GTC like this, that's all we're doing through '26. In '27, we could start to have a little bit of a budget to look at other things.

I changed the 20% reduction in sales tax to 0 for this year, so I just held that constant and inflated it by 3%, which is the default forecast.

Sears pointed out that some of the Complete Streets segments might be part of the GTC project; Gooding said there are still large sections of Complete Streets that would need to be done that are separate from the GTC.

Gooding: If we look at total capital outlay between now and the end, we're at 28 million for a low projection and 30 for a higher projection. So, if we have 15 for GTC and 5 for Ski Time, then we have 8 or 10 left for everything else. But that comes in '28 or '29.

Miller confirmed that the Ski Time Square turnaround would include Complete Streets improvements separate from the Complete Streets project.

McKenzie asked if there would be money from any other entities for the GTC.

Buccino: The city is putting some money up in addition to the money from the URA. We committed some from our CIP projects to make the GTC work.

McKenzie confirmed that the \$15 million number Gooding came up with does not account for that money.



Lawrence: We looked at some grants from CDOT that would fund part of the GTC over the years, but I think the timeline for that has kind of expired to submit a grant.

Buccino pointed out that the upcoming property tax assessments at the base area will make a difference but can't be included at this point.

Lawrence asked if the metro district would anticipate any development of those properties; Stone said it does.

Paul: Does the metro district money have to be used for improvements on those properties, or can it be used elsewhere?

Stone: It doesn't have to be on those properties; it has to show a benefit to those properties.

Pirrallo expressed his support for the metro district and expanding the GTC project to include the gondola, as well as trying to determine how to fund the other activities that address the blight, transportation, pedestrian safety and access issues that have already been identified.

Members discussed various scenarios around funding the Tier 2 and Tier 3 projects.

Members agreed to reprioritize the project activity list in the near future.

Gooding: Manipulating the workplan to try to fund the most projects has been done by the Design Subcommittee in the past. It may need to stay with the Design Subcommittee. I think it would be good for the full committee to be as involved as possible. Some of it gets into the weeds a little bit, and we're figuring that out. If you guys have input, call me. It would be great if alongside our negotiations for these Tier 1 projects if we can figure out how we're going to respond with the workplan.

This will start to come into focus with better numbers over the next couple months.

Sears identified the area by the new urgent care center, ski patrol and STARS for reconfiguration to make sure ambulances are able to get in and out of the area.

Paul: That area has already been improved; we can't touch it again. The URA paid for that intersection to redo it and add the sidewalks.

**6. Other Business.....2:40pm**

Lawrence asked if anyone would be interested in taking over as co-chair from Malia, though he indicated that Malia would be willing to stay on for the final year of Lawrence's term as co-chair.

Design Subcommittee:

Lawrence: Current members are Jim Schneider, Dan Pirrallo and Charlie Stone. They've typically done all the heavy lifting for the group. They prioritize projects for each year and make recommendations on the budget. I don't know whether we want to leave the Design Subcommittee as it is and discuss these working issues as a large group, or whether we want to throw that back to the Design Subcommittee and have them discuss and bring some recommendations to URAAC.

Schneider: We haven't met in a while. I think a lot of whether we do is going to depend on some of these discussions going on. I think that will kind of dictate where we're going.

Buccino thought the Subcommittee would probably start to meet again in June or July after URAAC receives updated information.

Buccino: We don't want to hold anything up, so keep moving forward.

Gooding: In May, Brad is going to be giving us a presentation on Mountain Area Master Plan implementation and the Mountain Area Coordinating Committee, which is a group called out in the MAMP that will help to guide the implementation of that plan. It seems like it would dovetail well with URAAC's role. This could potentially come after the URA sunsets.

We're going to get an update on the Mountain Area Design Standards.

We're going to have Jen Bock come back in for Committee Ethics 101.

**7. Adjournment.....3:00pm**

**Lawrence adjourned the meeting at 2:54 p.m.**

---

**UPCOMING MEETING CALENDAR:**

***URAAC: May 4, June 1 (Carver Room for the rest of the Year)***

***DSC (Pirrallo, Schneider, Stone): TBD***

***2023 Tentative SSRA / City Council Dates: May 16, July 18, September 5, October 17***

**8.**