News Flash

City of Steamboat Springs NEWS

Posted on: December 16, 2022

Invisible Killer, Carbon Monoxide, Entails Persistent Vigilance

SSFR Carbon Monoxide NewsFlash

STEAMBOAT SPRINGS, COLORADO-December 16, 2022-An ‘Invisible Killer’ could make a surprise visit to your home this winter, Carbon-Monoxide, also known as CO, kills more than 150 people in the United States every year. 

“Every year a number of people suffer from carbon monoxide poisoning as we’ve frighteningly seen in our state especially during winter,” commented Steamboat Springs Fire Rescue Fire Chief Chuck Cerasoli. “Carbon monoxide strikes without notice, so make sure your home has these lifesaving devices to alert you to his silent threat.” 

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless, poisonous gas produced by combustion, that can be DEADLY. Simple CO detectors, which cost about $15 each and are available at local hardware stores and general-merchandise stores, can be lifesavers.

CO detectors are required by state law in all rental properties, and every home should have them -- one on each level of the residence, and preferably near utility rooms housing devices such as furnaces or clothes dryers. Test your CO detectors monthly to make sure that the batteries are fresh and working and that the lifesaving siren is audible.

Because CO is otherwise undetectable to the human senses, people may not know that they are being exposed. The initial symptoms of low to moderate CO poisoning are like the flu (but without the fever) and include: headache, fatigue, shortness of breath, nausea, and dizziness. High level CO poisoning results in progressively more severe symptoms, such as mental confusion, vomiting, loss of muscular coordination, loss of consciousness and ultimately death. 

A carbon-monoxide alarm should never be ignored, nor should you try to find the source of gas. Instead, follow these steps:

  • Immediately move outside to fresh air
  • Call emergency services, fire department or 9-1-1
  • Do a head count to check to account for everyone
  • Do not reenter the premises until emergency responders have given permission to do so

“Give the gift that keeps giving all year long,” continued Cerasoli. “Consider making a smoke and carbon monoxide alarm a holiday present every year for your family, friends or donate one to the local community thrift store for those who can’t afford this lifesaving device.” 

-WeServeTheCity-

Contact
Chuck Cerasoli, Fire Chief, 970.879.7170 or email
Travis Wilkinson, Deputy Fire Chief, 970.879.7170 or email
Michael Lane, Communications Manager, 970.871.8220 or email

Facebook Twitter Email