Can I have a secondary unit?
These are known by lots of names, mother-in-law units, granny flats, accessory dwelling units, ADUs- they’re all generally the same, but here in Steamboat, we call them secondary units.

To determine if you can have a secondary unit, you’ll need to know the square footage of your lot as well as your zone district. Each residential zone district has a minimum lot size required for a single family home + secondary unit. If you have the required amount of square footage, you can build a secondary unit.

In Steamboat, a secondary unit can be a maximum of 650 square feet and may not be rented out on a nightly basis.

Show All Answers

1. What is my zoning? What are my setbacks?
2. What’s the difference between an easement and a setback?
3. Can I have a secondary unit?
4. What does it take to rent my house on Airbnb or VRBO?
5. Where are food trucks allowed?