Special Events in Steamboat Springs
Welcome to Steamboat Springs and thank you for considering hosting a special event in the Yampa Valley. Steamboat Springs has been home to international, national, regional, and grass-root events, many of which have firmly established themselves in the history and heritage of the community. Whether you're putting on your inaugural event or have been a fixture for more than 100 years, this section will help guide you through the permitting process and set up your event for success.
UPDATE: The City is currently working on an online special event application system; this system is expected to be ready in February 2022. For any events that take place May-December, please hold on to your applications until the new system is ready for intake. Thank you for your patience!
VENUES AND POLICIES
- Venue Reservation:
- NEW event- minimum 45 days in advance; maximum 365 days in advance
- EXISTING event- minimum 45 days in advance; maximum 2 years in advance
- Reservation of a venue does not guarantee approval of an event
- A list of city venues can be found here
- Policies regarding venues can be found here
- Per City Council direction, Winter Carnival Weekend, the 4th of July, the 4th of July weekend, and the 2nd weekend in July are time periods that are at capacity and non traditional events will not be permitted during these time periods.
- A complete application packet must be submitted no later than 45 days before your event.
- If an application packet is submitted less than 45 days before the event, a late fee of $500 will be assessed in addition to the standard application fee. Per City Council direction, this late fee will be enforced in 2022.
- City staff will process the permit in 30 days or less after the complete application packet is received.
The fee schedule below is valid through December 31, 2022. All fees may not be listed and may change without notice.
|FEES||valid through 12/31/22|
|Parks||$38.50/hour or $308/day|
|Streets||$38.50/hour or $308/day|
|Trails||$3/youth and $3.75/adult|
|Parks Field Use||$13.50/hour or $81/day-youth; $15.50/hour or $93/day-adult|
|Community Service Officer (CSO)||$34/hour|
|Application Late Fee||$500 (<45 days)|
MONTHLY SPECIAL EVENT MEETINGS
Event producers are required to attend pre-event meetings and after-action review of their events. Below is the schedule for 2022: dates are tentative and subject to change. Currently, all meetings are virtual. These meetings provide event producers with the opportunity to have an open dialogue with city staff and discuss concerns, ideas, things that worked well, and things that can be improved.
January 12- 1PM
February 9- 1PM
March 9- 1PM
April 13- 1PM
May 11- 1PM
June 8- 1PM
July 13- 1PM
August 10- 1PM
September 14- 1PM
October 12- 1PM
November 16- 1PM
December 14- 1PM
In 2019, City Council adopted the Special Events Medical Plan Matrix. The chart below outlines the event sizes and the suggested or requirement medical providers and assets.
Depending on the nature of your event, additional forms may be required including but not limited to: closing a city right of way, requesting law enforcement services, allowing alcohol at your event, a parking plan/alternative transportation plan template, or a street closure neighbor notification template. These forms can be found here.
- It is the event producer’s responsibility to comply with any federal, State or Routt County public health orders, guidelines, and/or mitigation protocols at the time of the event. The City is not responsible for informing event producers of public health orders in effect or interpreting public health orders.
- The Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE) has released guidance on outdoor events, outdoor recreation, and sporting events/races. This guidance and state public health orders can be found on the CDPHE website.
- The City will continue to monitor CDC, State, and Routt County guidance.
Facility Rentals are managed outside the special events permit. If you are interested in renting a park pavilion or a city facility for a private function, please use the Facilities & Use Rentals section.