Rules & Regulations
On June 7, 2022, the Steamboat Springs City Council adopted Ordinances 2856, 2857, and 2858, revising the Municipal Code and Community Development Code to enact a Short-Term Rental Overlay Zone and Licensing program to mitigate the impacts of short-term rental uses throughout the community.
On November 8, 2022, Steamboat Springs voters approved a new 9% tax on short-term rentals. More information about the STR tax.
Short-Term Rental Overlay Zone
The STR Overlay zone establishes the boundaries of three different zones in the city regulating short-term rental units.
- Zone A: Unlimited (green) - There is no limit on the number of short-term rental units in Zone A.
- Zone B: Restricted (yellow) - There are specific limits or caps on the number of short-term rentals allowed in each of the six subzones of Zone B.*
Subzone B Caps Subzone B1: 5 Subzone B2: 20 Subzone B3: 18 Subzone B4: 17 Subzone B5: 12 Subzone B6: 10
- Zone C: Prohibited (red) - Short-term rentals are prohibited in Zone C.*
* NOTE: Hosted STRs and Temporary STRs are exempt from the Zone B caps and Zone C prohibition. Properties with valid VHR permits or legal nonconforming STR registration are also exempt from the Zone B caps and Zone C prohibition.
Unless granted an exemption per Section 12-571(d) of the Steamboat Springs Revised Municipal Code, it shall be unlawful to advertise, offer, provide, or operate a short-term rental, hosted short-term rental, or temporary short-term rental in the City of Steamboat Springs without first obtaining a license.
A grace period to lawfully operate a short-term rental without a license extends through April 30, 2023 for STRs located in the STR Overlay Zone A (green) and STRs in Zone B (yellow) or Zone C (red) with either a valid VHR permit or an approved or pending legal nonconforming STR use application.
STR Overlay Zone Map
You can find the STR Overlay zoning for your property on the City Interactive Map.
- Click on Layer List icon (at the bottom of map)
- Check box and expand Zoning Districts layer
- Check box: STR Overlay Zone
What operational rules apply to Short-Term Rentals?
Section 12-542 of the Steamboat Springs Revised Municipal Code requires all licensed short-term rentals to comply with the following rules. [NOTE: Property owners should be aware of any HOA rules that may be more restrictive than City regulations.]
- The licensee shall display each short-term rental license in a visible location inside the licensed premises.
- The maximum number of occupants staying at a short-term rental shall not exceed one (1) per one hundred and fifty (150) square feet of net floor area, but such occupancy limit shall be no less than two (2) and no more than 16 occupants.
- The maximum number of occupants and guests attending any outdoor activities shall not exceed twice the number of permitted occupants.
- A minimum number of parking spaces shall be provided in accordance with the parking requirements for the dwelling unit as established by the Steamboat Springs Community Development Code. In addition, overnight parking of vehicles outside of a garage shall:
- Not exceed six (6) vehicles; and
- Be located on an all-weather, drivable surface; and
- Not be located within a public right-of-way or emergency access easement.
- Each short-term rental shall operate with a designated local responsible party. It is the responsibility of the licensee to inform the city of any changes to the local responsible party name or contact information.
- The local responsible party shall respond to any complaint within one (1) hour of being notified of the complaint between the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. and within thirty (30) minutes of being notified of the complaint between the hours of 10:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m..
- A clearly visible and legible notice shall be maintained within each licensed premises that provides the following information:
- The name and 24-hour contact information of the local responsible party; and
- The maximum number of occupants and guests permitted at the licensed premises; and
- The maximum number of vehicles allowed and the location of all approved parking spaces; and
- Rules regarding overnight parking, trash removal, prohibition on camping and outdoor sleeping, including occupancy of camper or recreational vehicle, and noise, all as established by the provisions of this Revised Municipal Code.
Download the STR Rules Notice Template.